Мы обычно используем like и as для сравнений.
e.g. Maria swims like a fish
Jim treats other people as his father treated him.
Также мы используем as, когда говорим о профессии человека, а также о функции или роли человека или предмета.
e.g. My mom works as an accountant.
I used these ribbons as decorations for my dress.
При перечислении стоит избегать like и вместо него использовать such as.
e.g. We've visited lots of interesting countries such as Spain, China and Brazil.
As if и as though также могут быть использованы для сравнений.
e.g. He spends money as if he were a millionaire.
He talks as though he knows everything
Choose the correct word.
1) I've arrived to the party as/like we agreed.
2) She hopes to qualify as/like an accountant.
3) She dances as/like a goddess.
4) I’ve brought you money as/like you asked.
5) My mom looks as/like Madonna.
6) What does your boyfriend do? – He works as/like a policeman.
7) In that shop you can get all kinds of things as/such as/like clothes, watches, jewellery.
Answers: 1.as, 2.as, 3.like, 4.as, 5.like, 6.as, 7.such as.
Complete with the correct word.
1) Don’t look at me … that.
2) I did everything exactly … my teacher had told me.
3) What’s the matter? You are behaving …. a child.
4) I’ve brought all necessary things …. nails, hammers, tools.
5) Kris works …. a manager now but before he was a shop assistant.
6) The date was … a dream.
7) …. I said yesterday, we’re not going to discuss it any more.
Answers: 1.like, 2.as, 3.like, 4.such as, 5.as, 6.like, 7.as.
Put the words in the correct order.
1) Like Todd his grandfather looks
2) Be I’d Maria Like love to blond
3) Have know as I children two you
4) Do this you like mustn’t
5) An works as Bred au-pair
6) We team our expected as lost
7) You heights me of are afraid like?
Answers: 1. Todd looks like his grandfather. 2. I’d love to be blond like Maria. 3. As you know, I have two children. 4. You mustn’t do like this. 5. Bred works as an au-pair. 6. Our team lost as we expected. 7. Are you afraid of heights like me?