may – might
May/might – модальные глаголы, которые выражают предположение, основанное на неуверенности.
e.g. I may watch this film.
She might wear that dress.
May и might являются синонимами и не имеют большого различия в своем значении.
e.g. She may wear a white dress.
She might wear a black dress.
|–||May not/might not||
e.g. She may not wear jeans.
She might not wear shorts.
|?||May + S + V?||e.g. May I come in?|
- В прошедшем времени используется форма might.
e.g.They might fall over.
- В вопросительных предложениях may используется для образования вежливых просьб.
e.g. May I open the door? It’s very hot in here.
Choose the correct word.
1) I haven’t been here for a long time so that shop may/may not be closed now.
2) If you help me I may/may not tell mom about you bad marks.
3) Don’t drink so cold water. You might/might not get a cold.
4) What are you doing on Saturday? – We may/may not watch a film.
5) May/might I borrow your bag?
6) You may/may not worry about it. The boss won’t find out.
7) Where is my wallet? – It may/may mot be in your bag.
Answers: 1.may, 2.may not, 3.might, 4.may, 5.may, 6.may not, 7.may.
Put the words in the correct order.
1) May to I party the not go
2) Finish she it have to time might some
3) Cold might tonight it very be
4) Celebrate home might we our at birthday
5) Be a few there we minutes may in
6) Coffee I or drink tea may
7) Summer travel we to might next Europe
Answers: 1. I may not go to the party. 2. She might have some time to finish it. 3. It might be very cold tonight. 4. We might celebrate our birthday at home. 5. We may be there in a few minutes. 6. I may drink coffee or tea. 7. We might travel to Europe next summer.
Match the sentence halves.
1) Where is your umbrella? A) You may miss your train.
2) Where are the children? B) They play really badly.
3) I might not accept the job. C) It might be a bit cold.
4) They may lose tonight. D) It may be in my bag.
5) Let’s go shopping. E) The salary is really low.
6) I’ll take the jacket. F) They might be in the park.
7) Hurry up. G) We may buy something nice.
Answers: 1 – d, 2 – f, 3 – e, 4- b, 5 – g, 6 – c, 7 – a