Uses of Gerund
Gerung (герундий) — это неличная форма глагола, обладающая признаками как глагола, так и существительного. Подобной формы в русском языке нет. Герундий образовывается при помощи окончания –ing.
e.g. swim – swimming
wake – waking
Отрицательная форма герундия образуется при помощи отрицательной частицы not, которая ставится перед формой герундия: not swimming, not waking up.
1) После некоторых глаголов(admit, appreciate, avoid, carry on, consider, defer, delay, deny, detest, dislike, endure, enjoy, escape, excuse, face, feel like, finish, forgive, give up, can’t help, imagine, involve, leave off, mention, mind, miss, postpone, practice, put off, report, resent, risk, can’t stand, suggest, understand)
e.g. I don’t mind washing up.
2) В роли подлежащего:
e.g. Swimming is good for you.
3) После предлогов(to, up, about, etc.)
e.g. He decided to give up smoking.
- После некоторых глаголов может использоваться как герундий так и инфинитив без особой разницы в значении.(begin, continue, hate, intend, like, love, prefer, propose, start)
e.g. It started to snow.
It started snowing.
Put the verb in the correct form.
1) I enjoy (travel) in the spring when it’s not very hot.
2) She’s afraid of (speak) to new people.
3) (tidy) the cupboard makes me feel very nervous.
4) Tim doesn’t mind (do) all housework and he always helps his wife.
5) They gave up (smoke) a few days ago.
6) Why do you avoid (meet) me?
7) (do) sport always helps me to relax and forget about my problems.
Answers: 1.travelling, 2.speaking, 3.tidying, 4.doing, 5.smoking, 6.meeting, 7.doing.
Put the words in the correct order.
1) Out she crying burst
2) Football can exciting watching be really.
3) Computers his repairing business is
4) Thinking flat Margaret of buying a new was
5) Finished she the dishes has yet washing?
6) Forward holiday I’m with looking to you on go
7) To be she serious tried couldn’t but help she laughing
Answers: 1. She burst out crying. 2. Watching football can be really exciting. 3. Repairing computers is his business. 4. Margaret was thinking of buying a new flat. 5. Has she finished washing the dishes yet? 6. I’m looking forward to going on holiday with you. 7. She tried to be serious, but she couldn’t help laughing.
Put the verb in the correct form – gerund or infinitive.
1) Excuse me for (break) your favorite cup.
2) I am so sorry; I forgot (invite) you to my party.
3) We finished (write) a report two hours ago.
4) He offered me (go) to the sea with him.
5) Go on (do) your homework.
6) We need (get) there before midnight.
7) Carlos decided (marry) Jane and nothing could stop him.
Answers: 1.breaking, 2.to invite, 3.writing, 4.to go, 5.doing, 6.to get, 7.to marry.