Fight tooth and nail
[video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVObxmy-HDs&list=PLSphAJ6RVs8Eda0ZcS0naVCcfqw1mlHAF width:854 height:510 align:center]
Hello-hello! Today I’m gonna tell you about a very cool idiom ‘To fight tooth and nail’. You are going to fight something tooth and nail. So if you want to say that you’re going to try very hard, to fight very hard for something or to fight somebody very hard, you can say ‘to fight tooth and nail’, ‘to fight something tooth and nail’.
So for example, I know this exam is very hard. But I’m going to fight this tooth and nail. And eventually in the end I will do it. I will pass this exam.
Or for example, you started your business ten years ago, but now it’s not very successful, and you say ‘Anyway, I’m going to fight tooth and nail to make by business successful again’.
Or in the past ‘I fought too hard for this, I fought tooth and nail for this and I can’t let it go just like that. I’m going to do it again.
– And if there really is a chance for us, why not go for both?
– Because I’ve seen what happens when things go ‘self’ between partners. And I’m not willing to put my business in jeopardy.
– Your business…
– Yes! My business! The one that I have fought tooth and nail to keep together. The same business that you strolled into with a shotgun and said ‘Marry me or I’ll start shooting’
Complete the gaps using the correct form of ‘Fight tooth and nail’
- – Economy nowadays is so bad. Maybe you should just shut down your firm? – No way! I _________________ for this!
- – Do you think we have a chance to start this company? – I know we do! Anyway, _________________ for it.
- – Why did they go bankrupt? – Because they should have _________________ for it, but they decided to give up.
- – Why don’t you leave her alone? She doesn’t love you! – She loves me! And I _________________. She’ll be with me!
- – I don’t think we’ll win this match. – Don’t say that! We have _________________ for our victory!
- What kind of people become the best leaders?
- What our world would be like if everybody was a leader?