Put up with
[video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqnRj7_xh-w&list=PLSphAJ6RVs8Eda0ZcS0naVCcfqw1mlHAF width:854 height:510 align:center]
Hello-hello! Today I’d like to tell you about in my opinion very necessary idiom ‘To put up with something’. If you put up with something – with some situation, it means that you accept this situation, that you don’t want to change anything or that you realize that you can’t change anything. It means that you put up with it.
For example, you’re sitting in a restaurant. You want to have a nice dinner, but there are someone’s children running around the restaurant and you’re saying ‘I would never put up with this kind of behavior from my children. I don’t know what those parents are thinking, because this is not acceptable! My children would be well-behaved and they would listen to me. So I WOULD NEVER PUT UP WITH THIS SITUATION. I would never take this situation as it is. I would try to change it’.
Or for example, your friend is dating with a guy and you don’t like this guy. And he doesn’t treat her well. And you say ‘I would never PUT UP WITH SUCH BEHAVIOUR. I would try to fight it or I would leave him! I would try to change something!’
Or vice versa — you say ‘I would PUT UP WITH THIS SITUATION. Anyway it’s not a big deal.
So if you say ‘I put up with it’- you’re OK with it, you accept it. And if you say ‘I wouldn’t put up with it, it means – you don’t want to accept it; you want to change something.
I hope that was useful for you. Bye-bye)
Rewrite the sentences using the correct form of ‘put up with’
- My colleague was complaining about our boss all day long! I just couldn’t handle it anymore so I left the office earlier.
- Would you be able to accept the situation where you’d have to work twelve hours a day without additional payment?
- I hate your dog! I will never be OK with it in my bed!
- – My husband leaves his socks in the middle of the room. I yell at him all the time, but nothing changes. What should I do? – I think you should just accept it. Not a big deal!
- Why did you move? Your apartment was so great! – I just couldn’t handle those noisy neighbors anymore.
- Would you ever put up with noisy neighbors? If not, how would you fight this situation?
- What habit of your (future) husband/wife do you think you would never be able to put up with?